Monday, December 11, 2006

El derecho de vivir en paz

I thought I'd comment on the death of Augusto Pinochet.

Back when I was in middle school, my sister brought home a record from the local public library; it was 'Pongo En Tus Manos Abiertas' by Victor Jara. I loved it. This was soon followed by the rest of his albums that were available from the library. To this day, I can sing along to 'Preguntas por Puerto Montt'.

I quickly realized that the library didn't have any albums from after 1974. I did some reading, and found the reason (we couldn't just wiki back in those days): he'd been killed in a military coup in 1973. He was taken prisoner, tortured, and murdered. The man responsible for his death: Augusto Pinochet.

Last year, I was happy to find that Victor Jara's work has been rereleased as an eight-disk CD collection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooohh espanol!