Saturday, September 15, 2007

Claustrophobia Update

In this world of irony, it is only fitting that I posted about my odd claustrophobic dreams a couple of posts ago. Now, I'm living the dream.

For my placement in the badlands, the school assigned me a room in a basement. Where do those dreams come in? The bathroom: the ceiling is about 6'1", which means that I can't stand up straight. Shaving isn't easy, walking around has to be done doubled over...

But, that's the good part. The shower, well, is about 6'2" tall, and about 2' by 2'. In other words, it would make a cozy coffin for someone 6" shorter than me. The shower head is located a bit below my shoulder height. I can fit in there if I fold myself up a bit like an accordion bellows. To top it off, the shower head pops off once it heats up, giving me a fixed time limit for shower length... showering is a form of comical torture.

No internet access at home either; I have to go to the hospital to (slowly) check my email... and facebook is blocked. I feel like I've been buried in Kill Bill: Volume 2...

6 comments:

Marysienka said...

lol omg that's insane! Can't they give you another room? My friends were in a better place than yours when they were in Africa hehe!

I started a facebook thing the other day... I didn't even know what it was :-P it's fun!

Tall Medstudent said...

Well, if I was short, it would be great lol. Except for the lack of internet...

Facebook is pretty engrossing for the first few weeks...

Well, I'm heading out.

Bil The Man said...

Oh man. I'm sitting her looking to chat with my amigo and you are no where to be found. Not cool man, not cool.

Anonymous said...

that was the funniest thing I have read/heard all day. If it is any consolation, at least your experience is making someone else's day more enjoyable.

med neophyte said...

That is hilarious. I am imagining you hunched in a small dark closet trying to shave. I hope you are spending part of you day wandering in the wide open badlands to offset your time in a hole in the ground.

Tall Medstudent said...

Well, I'm glad you guys enjoyed that... I thought I was maybe overreacting to it until I went back this week.

A man shouldn't live like this. :(

I actually haven't gotten out to the museum or the trails near it yet. I haven't had much free time during daylight hours... it's a nice place to run at night, though.