Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Carms Revolution

Even damnation is poisoned with rainbows. (Leonard)

I headed out through the snow this morning to meet up with friends. It was supposed to be just for breakfast, but conversation dragged on through dinnertime, with the snowfall coming down hard outside.

We spoke of carms, the residency match process here in Canada. Where to apply, how many programs, what to put in our applications; these are questions that have no answers. The act of asking is cathartic, though, and so these days we go through this process over and over.

Of course, if we are successful in our applications, then this safe little world we're living in, with its tight friendships, will be destroyed, and we will all head out to begin from scratch, again.

To all of my architects let me be traitor.
Now let me say, I myself gave the order
To sleep and to search and to destroy.

7 comments:

Marysienka said...

When is the deadline to apply for the carms? Do you have an idea of what your choices will be?

med neophyte said...

Great post. I hope your applications are going well. We are rooting for you.

Tall Medstudent said...

Surprise: the decision is internal medicine.

I had better get typing today...

Marysienka said...

yay for your choice! Is it Gen internal med? Do you have second/third choices?

Tall Medstudent said...

Yup, general internal med. My second choice would be neurosurgery or paediatric neurology... so I am not going to bother applying for them; it would be too much work!!!

My strategy at the moment is to apply to as few places as possible (i.e., only where I actually want to go). If I don't match, I'll take a year off, then head to the US for residency... or something like that.

Unknown said...

Wow, things are getting serious...

I'm so glad that I have 2 more years before applying to specialties. How anyone can be sure straight of medschool I have no idea!

Good luck with the application!

O, and is internal medicine the smae as our plain old 'general medicine'? or is is more acute, like critical care?

Marysienka said...

Anna, don't you have internists in UK?!

Well Tall, you should start learning your Harrison right now ;)