Sunday, May 28, 2006

Everybody's Working on the Weekend

I had a busy weekend. Saturday morning, I woke up at 5:15, and since I had wanted to actually get up at 6:15, I was afraid to go back to sleep, lest I not wake up again. So, I got up and watched an episode of Felicity, then got to school in time for the 8 o'clock bus to Brooks, about two hours east of Calgary. There, we had a procedural skills practice day, doing some suturing, fibreglass casting, airway, and IV/IM/SC stuff. An interesting town with an extremely high refugee population. Apparently, there is a huge meat-packing plant in town, with big numbers of unfilled positions, that ends up being an easy starting job for refugees. Few language skills required for a job there, living expenses are low, and health services are excellent, so it's a good place for people who are starting from nothing. Also interesting is the landscape in the region: flat, flat, flat grasslands, with the occasional copse. I suspect it's mostly cattle country, explaining the big meat packing plant, but I'm not sure.

Sunday, I picked up Magic Pants at the crack of dawn, and we headed into northeast Calgary for an all-day CPR course. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to animate any of the ACTAR dummies.

Now, it's time to prep for tomorrow morning's integrative session... :( All work and no play makes me a dull boy.

3 comments:

Bil The Man said...

You bloody well missed out on a fantastic weekend in Sin City. You were missed as well. Damn you and your commitment to excellence.

Anonymous said...

Hey "Tall Med Student", it's Mike, finally took a second to find your blog. First hit on Google!

Anyways, you forgot to mention the best part of the weekend: free meat!! Lucky for you the napkins were free too...

Back to my "Conversational Thai in 7 Days" disc... you better not be looking at any more neuroanatomy.

Tall Medstudent said...

Hey Bil, I know, I kept thinking about you guys all weekend...

Mike, I was thinking about blogging about those fifty pounds of galbi; what a beautiful sight that was.