Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Beer and cookies

I started up a fermentation of 22 litres of wort last week, on Wednesday night. However, it is acting strangely, in that my fermentor isn't producing much (i.e. anything) in the way of gas. So, either the fermentation is just going really slowly, because my kitchen is too cold for the yeast to grow quickly, or the yeast I added was dead, and my fermentor is completely sterile. Both of those answers are unlikely, so that leaves me wondering.

I will open it up early next week to see what happened.

That same night, I also baked up about fifty cranberry and white-chocolate oatmeal cookies, and forty dark-chocolate oatmeal cookies. They were for a bake sale on Thursday, for AIDS week. My cookies ended up being a big hit. I wish I had kept some for myself...

5 comments:

Bil The Man said...

Domestic god U2. Man, I like the way that sounds. You'll be too good to your patients. Fresh cookies in the waiting room.

Interesting about your brewing. I doubt that they are dead but it could be the temp. I know they are pretty sensitive to that. It is a tricky thing to get the process to go right. Surprising I suppose considering how easily fungus grows on everything in the lab.

apalazzo said...

Looks like you'll need to visit Bil's lab in LA - the combination of Bil's lab fungus and Californian heat should solve all your problems.

Bil The Man said...

True, we've got an 80 Liter fermentor that should do the trick. Speaking of fungus, I need to go throw away some plates.

Tall Medstudent said...

I should move the thing to the storage room... it gets quite warm in there.

Tall Medstudent said...

BTW, my cookies are all that.