Sunday, December 04, 2005

Sugar Pie

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon baking. I started by heading over to the medschool to download some recipies. My intention was to bake a pumpkin pie, specifically this one, that I came across while reading one of my favourite food blogs. First I was frightened by the crust, but then I got over that by deciding on a graham cracker crust instead. However, the powdered nutmeg and powdered cloves made the recipe a no-go. Nutmeg would have been possible, but I would have had to find and buy a little nutmeg grater. Powdered cloves, though, defied imagination. I couldn't do that with a grater; I would have needed some kind of mill. I guess a peppercorn mill would have done the trick, but seriously, who eats powdered clove?

Anyways, I instead decided to just buy a pumpkin pie. I headed over to the local Co-op, and bought a ton of ingredients for making some cookies too, and then headed over to the condensed milk section, as I had a hankering for some. When I took a can off of the shelf, there on the label was a recipe for sugar pie! Wow! So, I headed home, baked a few dozen cookies, then started the sugar pie. It turned out quite well, although the graham cracker crust could have used some pre-baking to prevent it from being dissolved away by the filling.

For breakfast I had two slices of pie. It's great, but is a real test of one's body's ability to process simple sugars. I don't think I'll ever make this again, unless I have to feed some hungry voyageurs.

I also have a litre of whipping cream in my fridge now. I'd better start on that tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how you're able to make this pie. I was never into cooking, but baking is a hobby (and yes, I'm male) and I'm proud to say that I can bake chiffon cakes with strawberry filling quite well. I'll try this recipe you out here.

Tall Medstudent said...

The pumpkin, I gave up on. Maybe after Christmas, when I have more time. Sugar pie, on the other hand, is as easy as pie!

If I don't bake for myself, who will bake for me? Ah, the life of the bachelor.

Anonymous said...

Try a coffee grinder for the spices.

Tall Medstudent said...

Good idea. I'll need to go buy one. I could use one for coffee, anyways...

Derrick said...

Quite worthwhile information, thank you for the article.
link | get it | here