Sunday, March 12, 2006

Mountain Man

Yesterday was a good day. I headed up to Banff, then through the Kicking Horse pass to Emerald Lake, then back to Lake Louise, and finally back to Banff for dinner. I swear, Lake Louise is one of the more perfect views on the planet. That you can get unlimited coffee refills, including a biscotti, for $4.95, overlooking that view, is a good thing.

Anyways, I had a half-bound bison burger for lunch, and had a generous cut of prime rib for dinner, so I ended up pretty full. This morning, my friend Rich was in town, and we tried to hit the Keg for lunch, so that I could feast on prime rib two meals in a row, but unfortunately, they were all closed until dinnertime. So, instead we went to Red Lobster. I used to hate that place with a passion, so this is the first time I've gone to one in at least five years. I ended up really happy with it, surprise surprise. I shall return.

6 comments:

define_me said...

if only there's a restaurant that serves lobstersized cranberry martinis with a perfect medium rare new york steak...it'll be on the top of my list!

Anonymous said...

Did you happen to see the tiny snails in Lake Louise? Please post pictures, if you have any.

Tall Medstudent said...

I am thinking that I should be drinking more martinis these days. Hmm, a friend of mine in Boston would always stew up cranberries, then extract them with vodka... it was very good.

Hmm, the ice was probably a metre thick on the lake, with snow on top of that, so nope, I didn't see any tiny snails. :) I will keep my eyes open for them in summertime, though. Is there something special about them? :)

I still use film, so my pictures are generally delayed by six months between their being taken and their being developped. :(

Anonymous said...

They're an endangered species apparently. Actually I don't know whether they're supposed to be visible to the naked eye. I thought maybe you could tell me.

Tall Medstudent said...

Well, Lake Louise is probably a pretty good place to be endangered. No development, little polution, a thick sheet of ice protecting you from November through May, summertime water temperatures too cold to swim in...

I found this on a website with ideas for things to do in Banff National Park: "Cave & Basin- Visit the endangered snails at the Cave and Basin!" I also found references to some kind of captive breeding program for the snails...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that information! So now I've learned that the snails were not at Lake Louise, but at the place you mentioned. They are apparently visible to the eye. Please look out for them when you go!