Sunday, October 09, 2005

It's Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. To celebrate, I cooked up dinner for the usual crew on Friday night, as our current exchange students go back to Sapporo next Saturday, after our hematology exam. I cooked up a big five pound pork roast, with potato dumplings with crouton filling, along with red cabbage and spätzle on the side. It turned out great, although it's been a long time since I've cooked a roast. The gravy worked out very well, which is a change from Boston. We followed up the roast with pumpkin pie and Saskatoon berry pie, along with a good bottle of ice wine.

Anyways, to prepare for people coming over on Friday, I spent a couple of evenings finishing unpacking and cleaning up my apartment. It is now spotless and most awesome. I went to Ikea to try out couches, but decided to forget about a couch, and just go with my pillows, just like my place in Toronto...

Basically, I decided that what I really wanted was a leather couch, and if I couldn't afford one now, then no couch until I can. It's basically the same deal as for my future TV: it's either a 50" widescreen LCD or plasma, or nothing. Looks like it will be 'nothing' for a while.

Oh, now I remember why I mentioned all this. As I was looking around for a guitar tuner during the party, I found my copy of 'Smoochy', that I haven't seen in several years, despite searching for it repeatedly in Boston. It was with my motorcycle title, that I have unsuccessfully searched for for the last two months. Nice!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Canadian Thanksgiving! America (esp. the Back Bay Thanksgiving potluck) will miss you on November 24th!

Anonymous said...

"I cooked up a big five pound pork roast, with potato dumplings with crouton filling, along with red cabbage and spätzle on the side."

Where is the turkey???

... and before you say "not in Canada", we had turkey in Montreal for Thanksgiving this year.

Tall Medstudent said...

Well, I cook a mean pork roast, but I have no idea how to cook a turkey. My family usually does pork at Thanksgiving, and goose at Christmas. ..

apalazzo said...

Goose! Wow can we come over?

Tall Medstudent said...

Unfortunately, goose is my mother's specialty. I need to get with it in the goose department.

I do know that it involves staying up until the wee hours of the morning, to 'water the goose'. More than that, I do not know.

Cornelius said...

Gosh, there's a great deal of useful material above!
url | here | site