Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Goose is Getting Fat

On Saturday, the high was supposed to be around 15 ºC, but instead, it rose above broke freezing. Wow, what a misprediction. So, as I was coming home from a party at about 1:30 this morning, there was a fine ice 'mist' in the air; I took it to be a positive omen. Lo and behold, when I woke up this morning, it was snowing heavily, and there was a good three inches of snow on the ground. It snowed all day. I love the twilight in wintertime; everything seems grey and dark, and for some reason, that gives me this intense feeling of contentment, like I'm 'at home'. I guess my love of extremes is why I enjoy the dark of a Canadian winter so much, as well as its antithesis, the wonderful heat of an İstanbul summer.

Speaking of İstanbul summers, for some unexplained reason, I went nuts over yogurt this weekend. I walked past the dairy isle on Friday, as I was shopping for baking ingredients, and saw that yogurt was on sale. I immediately bought 3.1 litres. Today, I went back and bought another 3.3 litres. Mmm, life should go smoothly for the next few days.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Wow, snow already! I would love some snow. We just have rain.. and more rain...

At the moment, the nights drawing in is giving me a feeling of loss, and sadness. Sunday afternoon is the worst.

What did you bake? My housemate baked chocolate brownies and they are gooood! I had one for breakfast this mornming, on the train to hospital.

med neophyte said...

I think I appreciate the aesthetic of snow considerably more than the reality of it. I can't help but let out a small mournful sigh everytime I have to pull out the car sweeper or pick up the snow shovel. However, it is very nice outside today with the snow on the ground and the sunshine and the blue blue sky.

Tall Medstudent said...

The snow on the ground keeps things a bit brighter than they really are. :)

It was cookies, dark chocolate oatmeal cookies. I didn't do a great job, but they were okay. Nowhere near what they're capable of being, though.

I ran out the door on Sunday, all excited to go driving in the snow... and then it took me ten minutes to get the snow and ice off the car. :(

Anonymous said...

we had snow here in southern Ontario in early October! It wasn't like a few sprinkles here and there, it actually came down pretty hard. Some areas in the northeastern US went hours without power! As much as I love Canada, I'm glad to be going to Australia for med school.

Tall Medstudent said...

Well, in Australia, you're going to have to deal with fitting all the beach time and surfing into your studying schedule. Definitely a source of stress!