Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Physio

Today I went for physio for the first time. The good news is that, based on my current active motion range, my physio predicts that I will easily regain full hand motion and control. I'm happy to hear predictions like that. On the other hand, my fingertip sensation seems a bit off, but I'm not sure that is a direct result of the injury, and if it is, whether it is long-term. Still, it seems adequate already.

Anyways, the physio started by asking me to list three activities, which I can't do now, with my injured hand, but which I would like to be able to do again. Basically, they are meant to serve as signposts in my recovery. My mind blanked under the pressure. "Typing," was my first response, but then I felt that that was too easy. I then thought about my studies, and said, "Perform a physical exam." I'm supposed to be starting with that next week, so it's directly relevant. However, once again it seemed like something really basic, for which I would just need some strength, but not much more. What could I say, for my third objective? I tried to imagine my left hand doing something that required fine motor control. The physio waited for an answer. "Knitting!" I declared. No, not something manly like 'perform neurosurgery' or even 'play guitar.' Well, I was immediately embarrassed. My physio, hoping to make me feel less silly, offered, "My wife loves to knit."

Well, I no longer have to wear my splint, except at night, or in situations where I could inadvertently hurt my hand, like walking around, etc. In fact, at the moment, I am touch typing this entry! At some point this evening I resumed normal typing, without even noticing the switch!

3 comments:

Bil The Man said...

Hmm, my grandma liked to knit. My wife thinks it is too girly. You should have gone with making doilies. That would be just manly enough for you. Actually, you should have used "fixing my Harley" (ooh ooh ooaaghhhh).

Tall Medstudent said...

Well, I don't remember how to knit anymore, but now I have to get the needles out again, just as a test of my left hand.

Gotta ride my bike in for an import inspection at Canadian Tire sometime in the next two weeks. I'm not sure how I'll do that.

Charles said...

For my part every person may read this.
Erin homes